Built in 1844 to celebrate Queen Victorian's reign and restored in 1978.
In 1844 the Victoria Prospect Tower was built to celebrate Victoria's reign. It provided work for redundant lead miners whose activities on the hillside had been restricted when the estate had become a ‘Pleasure Ground’.
Matlock Bath had remained relatively sedate and genteel until 1842, but the arrival of the railway brought a completely different kind of visitor… the large, organised excursion. For their benefit spectacular pyrotechnic displays were produced in the show caves and on top of the Victoria Prospect Tower long-burning flares were lit which could be seen for miles around.
The tower can still be seen as a local landmark, but today visitors to The Heights of Abraham can climb to the top and enjoy panoramic views of the Derwent Valley.